Friday, July 3, 2009

State Flowers: Maryland

So far my state flower postings have been for states close to my heart. Next on the list is my 2nd state home, Maryland. For those of you who don't know, I lived in Baltimore for about a year and a half. It's where I met my hubby. Glad I moved there!! :)



Ok, so the Maryland State Flower is the Black-Eyed Susan.

Facts for "Miss Susan."


  • She became the Maryland state flower in 1918.

  • The Black-Eyed Susan is probably the most common of all American wildflowers. The characteristic brown, domed center is surrounded by bright yellow ray florets.

  • The roots can be used as an astringent in a warm infusion as a wash for sores and swellings.

  • Juice from the roots had been used as drops for earaches.

  • The flower is thought to be native all the way from the plains to the Atlantic coast in the mid-Atlantic states. Very prolific!

  • If you want to grow them, they are one of the very easiest wildflowers to grow. Simply compress the seed into bare soil during spring, summer or fall.

  • When cut, the Black-Eyed Susan has a vase life of 6 to 10 days. ooooooh nice!






No comments:

Post a Comment