Thursday, June 11, 2009

State Flowers: Minnesota


I thought my next state flower should be from my home state, Minnesota. Land of 10,000 lakes, the Loon and the dainty Pink and White Lady's Slipper. (Known technically as Cypripedium reginae.)

Interesting facts about the "Showy Lady's Slipper"

  • "She" was adopted as the state flower in 1902.
  • Lady's Slippers grow slowly, taking up to 16 years to produce their first flowers. Talk about taking your own sweet time!
  • They can live for up to 50 years and grow up to four feet tall.
  • She is rare and thus protected by state law. It is illegal to pick the flowers or to uproot.
  • She typically flowers in late June and early July, with generally 1 or 2 flowers per stem.

I've never had the pleasure of seeing her in person. Maybe one day on a trip back home, I'll be wandering the swamps and bogs and stumble upon this beauty.. (Ok, so I don't traverse swamps and bogs, but it sounded kinda good...)

Bye for now, gee gosh dontcha know....

No comments:

Post a Comment